click photos for larger viewing
The Delta Delta Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.®, also known as the East St. Louis Chapter, was chartered on May 25, 1946 in East St. Louis, Illinois. In 2021, the Chapter celebrated 75 years of service to its community.
During the 1940’s, after graduating from college and returning to the East St. Louis area, eight young women who had been undergrad members of Alpha Kappa Alpha at their respective universities, wanted to organize a graduate chapter in the city. However, with the nearest graduate chapter being located a few miles away across the river in St. Louis, Missouri, the International Directorate of Alpha Kappa Alpha declined their initial request. After much persistence, Thelma Barnes Blackwell, Ruth Brinley Brown, Katherine Floyd Fagen, Johnetta R. Haley, Beatrice Burson Miller, Evelyn Moore, Iona Fidler Reed and Anita Mae Wallace were granted permission to organize the Delta Delta Omega Chapter. Sadly, Haley, the Chapter’s last remaining charter member, passed away January 31, 2021.
With the proximity of Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville to East St. Louis, the members of Delta Delta Omega wanted to charter an undergrad chapter. In 1966, during its International Conference, International leadership granted Delta Delta Omega mixed chapter status which allowed them to organize the Ivy Leaf Club on the campus in 1967. Seven undergrads became members. One year later at the 1968 International Conference, the sorority approved Delta Delta Omega’s application for an Undergraduate City Chapter and in 1969, the Epsilon Iota Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha was chartered at Southern Illinois University – Edwardsville.
Today, Delta Delta Omega has over 227 members who actively engage in supporting the East St. Louis community and implementing Alpha Kappa Alpha’s International Program of “Soaring to Greater Heights of Service and Sisterhood”.